Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: --forward mostly harmless

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: --forward mostly harmless
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:13:41 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > Considering a bit though (and no doubt merrily repeating the
    > famous pure-merge thread...),

I know that this is a slight digression from what you're talking about
but, from my "stating the obvious (but interesting)" department:

The "theory of pure merges" is more worth studying than ever before,
considering the emerging importance of PQMs which, as it turns out, do
nothing *but* pure merges.

Back to your topic, and why this isn't a total digression:

    >   If star-merge had a `--commit-if-pure' option, which would
    [....]

More generally, all PQM transactions should (perhaps?) be tla
subcommands.   So you can merrily repeat the "merge request format"
discussion, among others :-)

    > This seems much safer than --skip-if-present, and seems like it would work
    > as intended for my usual scenario.

A-yuh.  (Since there's an interest on the list in curious langauge:
"A-yuh", pronounced "uhhYA(ch)" where capitalization indicates stress
and `(ch)' is my made-up notation for a short, unvoiced, gutteral
plosive, is slang in the north, north-east of the US for "yes".  If
you don't know what I mean, don't worry about it: "ya can't get theah
from heah".)