Re: [Gnu-arch-users] --forward mostly harmless

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] --forward mostly harmless
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:31:32 +0200

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 12:27 -0400, Miles Bader wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 05:44:10PM +0200, David Allouche wrote:
> > > It might be worth checking the sources to see if that's actually what the
> > > command does.
> >
> > What do you mean?
>
> I mean confirm that it only checks the first hunk when making the
> apply/don't-apply decision.

That's what the documentation says, thought it's a bit non-obvious, and
that's what the test case attached to the original mail demonstrates.

Documentation and observed behaviour agree, I do not see the point in
the source code of patch to find out that it agrees too.

Or maybe you think that the documentation may be incorrect, and the
output of patch misleading when it says:

        Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Skipping patch.
        2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file file.txt.rej

while the second hunk _can_ be applied and _is_ applied if the --forward
behaviour is disabled.

--
                                                            -- ddaa