Re: [Gnu-arch-users] --forward mostly harmless

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] --forward mostly harmless
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:46:31 -0400

Miles Bader wrote:
No, just that I need duplicate suppression.

I generally use star-merge --three-way, but I've always sort of counted on
being able to use --forward if necessary -- star-merge isn't appropriate for
every merging task.  In particular, apply-delta and replay would benefit from
some sort duplicate suppression, as they're the sort of primitive command one
often turns to when star-merge doesn't work.

It might be possible to do it this way:
make a scratch copy of the file, and apply the patch backwards. The rejects will be anything that doesn't apply backwards.

Take the rejects and apply them backwards (which is really forwards, wrt the original patch) to the original copy of the file.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology