Re: [Gnu-arch-users] --forward mostly harmless

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] --forward mostly harmless
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:27:16 -0400

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 05:44:10PM +0200, David Allouche wrote:
> > It might be worth checking the sources to see if that's actually what the
> > command does.
>
> What do you mean?

I mean confirm that it only checks the first hunk when making the
apply/don't-apply decision.

> > For me, duplicate suppression of some sort is absolutely necessary,
> > but I usually use `star-merge --three-way' anyway...
>
> Are you saying you are actually using --forward and you get a different
> behaviour without --forward?

No, just that I need duplicate suppression.

I generally use star-merge --three-way, but I've always sort of counted on
being able to use --forward if necessary -- star-merge isn't appropriate for
every merging task.  In particular, apply-delta and replay would benefit from
some sort duplicate suppression, as they're the sort of primitive command one
often turns to when star-merge doesn't work.

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.