Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:54:06 +0200

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 18:35 -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
> Tom Lord:
> > I wouldn't refer to the documentation there, yet, until the docs
> > include a passage to be specifically referenced.
> >
> > Perhaps simply something like:
> >
> >      Be aware that .listing files created by arch are a convenience
> >      feature for use with simple HTTP setups.   Because of limitations
> >      in how they can be implemented, users of .listing files may need
> >      to run the `archive-fixup' command from time to time and
> >      administrators of mission-critical systems should understand
> >      the security and robustness issues of using them.
>
> The -l option is required for archives accessed by HTTP. Using other
> supported transfer methods (e.g. WebDAV or sftp) is recommended
> over using -l

The --listing option is required for archives accessed by HTTP. Using
other supported transfer methods (e.g. WebDAV or sftp) is recommended.
HTTP access is supported thanks to directory listings stored in
".listing" files, however the implementation is not robust for
concurrent modifications. Using the `archive-fixup' command may be
needed to regenerate the listings if they were corrupted by concurrent
archive modifications.

I think the message should be scary.

--
                                                            -- ddaa