Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:44:30 -0400

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
I've raised this before in a not so direct way:

In Aegis, when you "integrate", a 'lock' is taken when the "aeib" (aegis
integrate begin) command is run (file "=lock" or whatever), to serialize
commits.

Is it possible to 'easily' add such functionality to arch?

Or is it better to somehow layer something on top of arch?

In Arch, you can acquire a lock for any version you have commit access to, with the lock-revision command.

This parallel committing is kinda funky, but seems unnecessary in the
general case (think bitkeeper, linux kernel, 10MB patches per month, all
serialized, yadda yadda).

What makes you say that Linux development is serialized? People work on their individual trees, occasionally pulling in changes from the Linus tree. They don't need a lock on the Linus tree to commit.

Really, is anything gained by allowing these parallel commits other than
bragging rights? (OK, flame me down on that one - but I really do want
to know, so please do include an explanation with your flame :)

It's freedom. The freedom to fork at any time. The freedom to merge at any time. The freedom to cooperate, or use centralized development, or write your own project that no one else will ever see.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology