Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:52:34 -0400

Tom Lord:
> As with the asynchronous-detached-star-merge-leading-to-crossed-merges
> issue, the manual would benefit from a nice loud cartouche around a
> warning that references a few pages on how to handle .listing files in
> critical systems.
>
> By making .listings the default we would be steering new admins away
> from the documentation and encouraging them to skim, set up something
> that appears to work, and forget about it.

Ok. This is a reasonable concern. Suggestion withdrawn.

So how about instead, we add the following to tla make-archive --help:

To serve this archive via HTTP, use the -l option after having read
the arch documentation about the potential risks of listing files (Note:
WebDAV, ftp and sftp do not require -l)