Re: [Gnu-arch-users] star-merge commit changeset - additional changes?

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] star-merge commit changeset - additional changes?
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:22:45 -0500

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
Are there potential problems with making additional changes in a
star-merge, before running commit?

I'm thinking file perms - so I bring a changeset into stable from a
developer and decide that it needs a touch up.

The star-merged patch(es) include a bunch of perms changes, and _one_ of
those files with perms change I decide needs changing again, and so
change it there and then, followed by commit.

Is that a potential problem later on?

tia
zen

Well you lose "pure-merge". But it is done all the time. For instance, there isn't guaranteed to be no conflicts after the star-merge.

Basically what it ends up saying is "I merged all the changes from this source, and made it work with my tree. If I star-merge again, don't get those changes."

There is something about pure-merges that makes them extra special (because you know that if the patch is present, it is untouched, or something like that).

I say, go ahead and change permissions, etc. Star merge to get "their" changes, and then tweak it to get it to fit in your tree.

John
=:->