Re: [Gnu-arch-users] {arch} perms -> shared revlib?

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] {arch} perms -> shared revlib?
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:45:04 -0500

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 12:45, address@hidden wrote:

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 06:28:51PM -0500, John Meinel wrote:

chmod -R 755 {arch}

That will change non-executable files to executable as well.

I strongly suggest the magic big-X

        chmod -R go+rX {arch}

which makes files/dirs executable/searchable for
group and other only if executable/searchable for
owner

That's definitely much more concise than two
'find blah/ -type [f|d] | xargs chmod ...'

Thank you very much
Zen

The only time it doesn't work is if you interact with windows who likes to set the execute bit on as much as it can. (samba by default maps the 'archive' bit to the 'execute' bit. I don't know why)
So I want to make all 'directories' rwx, but all 'files' rw.
So I'm stuck with the pair of find commands.
I just wish chmod understood the difference between files and directories.

John
=:->