Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "Newbie-ized help"

From: Cameron Patrick
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "Newbie-ized help"
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:55:48 +0800

James Blackwell wrote:
> Btw, its down to 89 now, which is a 51% reduction from the original.

Groovy.  I'm also dubious about 'tla id' being included on the newbie
help -- I've never used it, which is a reasonable indicator that it's
not a commonly used command.  Likewise 'archive-setup': once I
discovered that tag and import would do this automatically, I've never
bothered with it.

> If you can do a better job, patches welcome. :)
[...]
> > How about splitting them by "task"?
[...]
> How many hours do you estimate it would take to change the current
> codebase over to doing what you request?

I admit I have no idea -- I haven't really looked at how the current
help system works.

>From a brief look, it seems that adding an additional 'section' field
to the arch_command structure and then having cmd_help use that would
do the trick?  Hmm, my categorisation had some commands in more than
one section, so maybe it'd be better to have an array for each section
listing what commands are in it.  I might have a shot at doing this
(probably tomorrow).

> Also, how do you think this will be received by people that are looking
> for a command name, but can't remember what section its in? (i.e. gdb
> help disease)

Fair point.  Perhaps only the most common commands could be
sectionised, and then make "tla help all" (or whatever) show the
lot...

Cameron.