Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Again, why whitespace cleanups

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Again, why whitespace cleanups
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:56:20 -0400

James Blackwell wrote:
In lists.arch.users, you wrote:

James Blackwell wrote:

Please take a look at this screenshot to see why whitespace fixes are
important.

I'm sorry. The fact that things aren't pretty in a graphical merge tool doesn't justify deliberately introducing invisible changes that will produce conflicts and nothing else.

The point is that it makes my job easier.

The point is, this makes my job and other peoples' jobs harder.

First I have to whitespace my devo tree, then I have to whitespace my backbuilder tree. Then I have to whitespace my cached archives tree. Then I have to whitespace my errors tree. Then I have to whitespace my smallfixes tree. Then I have to whitespace my writethrough tree.

There's still a lot of useful unmerged changes out there, and introducing whitespace changes will either make my job harder, or else I'll hand you unmergeable changes, and *your* job will be harder.

As I told Miles, I want this, so give this one to me, please. :)

I don't want this, Miles doesn't want this, Tom doesn't want this. Please don't do it.

Aaron