[Gnu-arch-users] MSFU and tla with openssh vs. plink

From: Deliverable Mail
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] MSFU and tla with openssh vs. plink
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:49:27 -0500

I've tried all the patched versions of tla under cygwin, and none
interoperated with linux.  Tails of the paths seem corrupted back on
linux.

So I went the MSFU (M$ Services For Unix) way, which turns out to be a
thing similar to cygwin, with packages at www.interix.com.  Following
the instructions at wiki.gnuarch.org, I did get a working tla.  The
issue, however, is to get it to fetch and propagate archives.  So we
need ssh.

The ssh which can be loaded into MSFU via pkg_add is openssh, and its
ssh-agent can be started, but ssh-add cannot talk to it, saying broken
pipe on the socket.  So following teh approach of those using darcs
with pscp, I replaced sftp with pusftp and pageant.

Then I saw that tla wants to push openssh options -oForwardX11=no and
two more -o's down plink's throat.  The source shows that the ssh
choice is a compile-time one, with the options hardcoded!  Wonderful.
I've recompiled it for plink and have a separate copy tla-plink, but I
believe it would be nice to decouple the transport choice and have a
way to specify options through to it, much like gcc does with ld.

Anyone tried UWIN?  What's the wisdom about Cygwin vs. MSFU vs. UWIN
these days?  At least MSFU supports tla naturally...

Cheers,
Alexy