Re: [Gnu-arch-users] MSFU and tla with openssh vs. plink

From: John Arbash Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] MSFU and tla with openssh vs. plink
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:24:29 -0600

address@hidden wrote:

I never got the dos83 versions to work, but I had good luck with the
dirnames versions. The 1.2.1 versions had a problem with line endings
and he doesn't seem to distribute the 1.2 versions (he might have fixed
the line ending, it turns out you need to give diff & patch the
'--binary' flag to make them work correctly.)

have you tried checking out into a "binmode" mounted directory?
Also have your tools respect/maintain binary mode for the text files.

john, are you talking about the 1.2.1 on my page, or the one I sent
you privately... ?

Both the one you sent, and the original one on the web page. You just
need to add the "--binary" flag to diff and patch (but not diff3). I
think you technically only need to add it to patch, but diff supports it
(diff3 does not.)

The problem was revlibs got created with LF only because when they were
patched without --binary, patch changes all line endings. (I happen to
set up cygwin to default to LF on my machine, but what I really want is
for tla to not change things, because some files need CRLF, but mostly I
just want LF).
But if my editor does something weird, I would rather a bogus change
every line patch to a corrupted archive.

-- lode

PS: they're still on there, just not linked from the page...
http://www.geocities.com/lode_leroy/arch/

tla-1.2-dirnames.tar.gz
tla-1.2-dos83.tar.gz
tla-1.2.1-dirnames.tar.gz
tla-1.2.1-dirnamessrc.tar.gz
tla-1.2.1-dos83.tar.gz
tla-1.2.1-dos83src.tar.gz

Even with binmode. patch needs the "--binary" flag or it will change the
line endings from LF to CRLF. I believe this change was merged into
mainline in 1.3pre2 (and correctly done in 1.3pre3).
Though it seems to be missing from 1.3.1. I can give you the simple
patch, just add the line:

     *(t_uchar **)ar_push ((void **)&argv, 0, sizeof (t_uchar *)) =
"--binary";
To line 222 of diffs.c
And the same line at 2607 in apply-changeset.c

John
=:->