Re: [Gnu-arch-users] MSFU and tla with openssh vs. plink

From: Deliverable Mail
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] MSFU and tla with openssh vs. plink
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:15:22 -0500

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:22:20 -0600, John Arbash Meinel

> I agree, I though there was a compile option for this. But you need to use:
> ../configure --help-options
> In order to see what the real options are.
> Specifically it had the options for
> ssh, ssh-is-openssh, and ssh-is-lsh
>
> You might try using:
> ../configure --with-ssh-is-openssh=no --with-ssh=/path/to/plink
>
> I would agree that an extra configure option for
> --with-ssh-options='...' would be nice.

My whoile point about this was that making ssh choice a compile-time
committment is ridiculous.  What if I want to use another ssh later --
why, oh why should I then be bothered with weird incompatible options
coming out of precompiled recesses deep in tla?  Sure I can filter and
replace and mangle and play with them with a wrapper, but that would
be ugly and uncalled for.

Choice of an ssh and its options should be fully configurable at run
time, not config/compile time.  That calls for an /etc/tla.conf...
BTW, is it a taboo subject in tla -- couldn't find any info on static
configuration of it, other than ~/.arch-params/?  Looks like it wants
to be a single tla executable, free and alone at the top.  :)

Cheers,
Alexy