Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: MD5 is broken

From: Karel Gardas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: MD5 is broken
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:43:30 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Karel Gardas wrote:
> > Yes, I agree, but combining two hashes from which one is considered broken
> > and one is considered weak these days is IMHO less secure than using one
> > hash which is considered secure.

[...]

> So while it's definitely time to look at alternative hashes, I don't
> think it makes sense to migrate to just one.  What if the new hash was
> cracked wide open, while no further progress was made on SHA-1?

Sorry, I was to vague about it. My paragraph above is just an "motivation"
for migration to different hash function implementation. Anyway, I agree
with you that combining more than one hash is better, although the
resulting code is more complex.

Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  address@hidden