Re: [Gnu-arch-users] windows/linux interop status - line endings?

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] windows/linux interop status - line endings?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:25:30 +1000

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 19:00 -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
> The issue is garbage: it's residual from early mudslinging between the
> MSFT world and everyone else, afaict.
>
> Stick something in your makefiles if you're stuck with line-ending issues.
>
> Bitch to your MSFT tool vendors -- logically, albeit it not economically, they
> are the odd man out.

For all that, I think something consistent is needed. If in ones
archive, you want unix line endings, but have contributors on older
macos machines, and on windows machines, then you have to deal with
toolchains on each platform being different. (I know of 3 different
ASCII line ending formats that have been in widespread use).

The one common point of interchange is the RCS. I think it has to be
there that the solution is hooked in, whether its native to the RCS or
not.

Makefiles are not sufficient.

Rob