Re: [Gnu-arch-users] windows/linux interop status - line endings?

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] windows/linux interop status - line endings?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:24:22 +1000

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 23:01 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:

> >The one common point of interchange is the RCS. I think it has to be
> >there that the solution is hooked in, whether its native to the RCS or
> >not.
> >
> >Makefiles are not sufficient.
> >
> >Rob
> >

> Once we have pre-precommit hooks, you could always add a "dos2unix"
> command to make sure commits are all done with a specific line ending.

Sure, but it will be hugely substandard. It will then leave the contents
of the tree in a different state than the user expected, with the
following side effects:
* cause spurious rebuilds
* break environments that need the other format line endings

If you then say 'ok, we can add a reversing rule in the post commit
hook', you then have to deal with failed commits leaving the tree with
converted files.

> If you really want to enforce rules at the server, and you don't have
> disciplined developers, then you need a server process.

Who mentioned a server ?

> The best that
> tla offers (which is pretty good) is a patch-queue-manager.
> It changes how things work, but it does give you server side control
> over what is committed into your archive.

Sure it does. I maintain arch-pqm for baz and tla. And it doesn't solve
this problem except in 'patch-text mode', which is a pretty limited and
unsatisfying deployment.

> The "consistent" action that tla does is leave things alone, and commit
> exactly what you gave it.

Which is /not/ the same as a pre-pre-commit hooks impact (see above).

Rob