Re: [Gnu-arch-users] windows/linux interop status - line endings?

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] windows/linux interop status - line endings?
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 11:04:17 -0800

John Arbash Meinel wrote:

However, others (such as myself) have frequently been bit by CVS trying
to do this, and *don't* want this behavior. I *like* that tla doesn't
try and guess what line endings I want, it just gives me back the ones I
gave it. That lets me use CRLF for files that require it (visual studio
.vcproj for instance), and not for the rest.

Well I guess that's the thing. I guess I don't know when it's required and when it isn't, nor why.

What I do know is that I don't want ^M cluttering my source files when I edit them in emacs under linux, and I don't want my shell scripts to say "bad interpreter" under linux when I try to run them. These are two problems I've had in the first 5 minutes of trying to use tla instead of CVS in this arrangement. I never had either of these problems using the CVS method. It seems its "guesses" about what I want are pretty spot-on for my usage.

Maybe there is a way to arrange things so that line endings are preserved but the behavior is sane on both sides (this seems to be what you're advocating). Can you offer me any guidance? I have source files, shell scripts, and Visual Studio files under source control. I edit them in emacs on both sides, compile using GNU make and g++ on both sides, want the shell scripts to run on both sides (cygwin under win32), but also make the occasional VS build for distribution purposes.

Thanks,
Bob