Re: [Gnu-arch-users] windows/linux interop status - line endings?

From: John Arbash Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] windows/linux interop status - line endings?
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:01:49 -0600

Robert Collins wrote:

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 19:00 -0800, Tom Lord wrote:

The issue is garbage: it's residual from early mudslinging between the
MSFT world and everyone else, afaict.

Stick something in your makefiles if you're stuck with line-ending issues.

Bitch to your MSFT tool vendors -- logically, albeit it not economically, they
are the odd man out.

For all that, I think something consistent is needed. If in ones
archive, you want unix line endings, but have contributors on older
macos machines, and on windows machines, then you have to deal with
toolchains on each platform being different. (I know of 3 different
ASCII line ending formats that have been in widespread use).

The one common point of interchange is the RCS. I think it has to be
there that the solution is hooked in, whether its native to the RCS or
not.

Makefiles are not sufficient.

Rob

Once we have pre-precommit hooks, you could always add a "dos2unix"
command to make sure commits are all done with a specific line ending.

If you really want to enforce rules at the server, and you don't have
disciplined developers, then you need a server process. The best that
tla offers (which is pretty good) is a patch-queue-manager.
It changes how things work, but it does give you server side control
over what is committed into your archive.

The "consistent" action that tla does is leave things alone, and commit
exactly what you gave it.

John
=:->