Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [arch advocacy] Games from Within: litmus test for

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [arch advocacy] Games from Within: litmus test for revision control
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:17:36 +0200

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:39:32 -0800, Tom Lord wrote:

>    From: Jan Hudec <address@hidden>
>
>    [re the inexact-patching directory creation bug]
>
>    The problem here is, that the indices only contain full path from root
>    to the files and their IDs, but not IDs of the parent directories.
>
> You're ahead of me in diagnosis, if you are right (and I'm working
> mostly on other things for the next few days).

Looking at orig-files-index and mod-files-index (and respective -dirs-)
in a changeset, that adds a file, I only see 2 columns: the full name
and id of the file. Since there is no other ID and since the dirs inices
are empty (so the ids can't be infered from there), I see no way to find
the ids, which is how I came to the above conclusion. Perhaps I am missing
something.

> One problem might be, as you say, that the parent dir ids are omitted
> from the changeset indexes.  They are supposed to be there.
>
> The other problem might be that, even if those are there, the code
> in `dopatch' isn't using them correctly.
>
> The same damn bug (by effect, not necessarily cause) occured in `larch'.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>