[Gnu-arch-users] Re: recent changes

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: recent changes
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:40:03 +0100

> Hi,
>
> "Derek Zhou" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> My short-term wish list of features already in baz that I'd like to see
>> in tla too:
>> * a/c--b--v in stead of the -A. make more sense this way.
>
> What do you mean?

many tla commands have a -A option, and you can do for example

$ tla get -A address@hidden my--project

whereas baz forces you to do

$ baz get address@hidden/my--project

>> * cacherev every 50 revisions and every tag even within the same
>> archive. Disk is cheap
>
> While I agree this should be the default, I think it should not be
> hard-wired.

In particular, cachedrevs for all tags are a bad choice if you
microbranch a lot. It does not only cost disk space, it also costs
bandwidth: if you have a close ancestor in your revision library, it's
cheaper to apply a few changesets to it than to get the cached
revision. Bazaar has clever algorithms to chose which full tree
revision to start with (a cachedrev, the initial import, or in your
revision library), but that's relatively deep changes, I don't think
this will ever be merged into tla.

--
Matthieu