Re: [Gnu-arch-users] patch: clean up some cacherev mess

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] patch: clean up some cacherev mess
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:54:32 +0000

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 06:13:02PM -0800, Derek Zhou wrote:
> Looks like some code are duplicated three times. I also change the dir
> for temp tree from "." to /tmp, which makes more sense to me.

No! /tmp is for temporary files which are SMALL.

It is frequently held in memory and will not accomodate things like
entire source trees. If you desperately need large working space on
the local filesystem, that's /var/tmp, but you should really be
working in . wherever possible.

That goes doubly for anybody who thinks they can get away with putting
revision libraries in /tmp. Your sysadmin will come over to your house
and kill you slowly with a rusty spoon.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |