RE: [Gnu-arch-users] patch: clean up some cacherev mess

From: Derek Zhou
Subject: RE: [Gnu-arch-users] patch: clean up some cacherev mess
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:40:05 -0800

Andrew Suffield wrote:

> No! /tmp is for temporary files which are SMALL.
Depends on how you define small. For example, k3b uses /tmp to store the
image before burning the cd-r and there is no obvious way to change it.
If your /tmp is so small that can't even accomodate one temporary source
tree, lots of software will fail.

> It is frequently held in memory and will not accomodate things like
> entire source trees. If you desperately need large working space on
> the local filesystem, that's /var/tmp, but you should really be
> working in . wherever possible.
. is bad because it is arbitrary. You don't want to litter arbitrary
place, don't you?

> That goes doubly for anybody who thinks they can get away with putting
> revision libraries in /tmp. Your sysadmin will come over to your house
> and kill you slowly with a rusty spoon.
I have been doing this for monthes, don't see that coming :) It is a
personal choice to put revlib in /tmp. I use debian too and debian also
provide tmpreaper.

> --
>   .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux ** | Andrew Suffield
>  : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |

Derek