RE: [Gnu-arch-users] patch: clean up some cacherev mess

From: Derek Zhou
Subject: RE: [Gnu-arch-users] patch: clean up some cacherev mess
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:32:34 -0800

Andrew Suffield wrote:

> It's broken then. Nothing should be putting CD images in /tmp. That's
> a textbook example of what /var/tmp is for. It also won't work on a
> stock install of most linux platforms these days, which use tmpfs -
> few enough boxes can fit an entire CD image into memory.
really? I installed stock debian not long ago, and tmp is still on /,
only /dev(udev) and /dev/shm are tmpfs.
Anyway, the problem is how do we provide a reasonable solution for
people on nfs, which is not too uncommon in the unix/linux world?
> tmpreaper is to clean up stale locks and stuff like that. People
> caught *filling* /tmp get their accounts deleted, because they broke
> the box.
On my corprate shared redhat box, /tmp contains a million files (some
very large) or so. /var/tmp has only a handful. Guess we are all damned.

> --
>   .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux ** | Andrew Suffield
>  : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |

Derek