Re: [Gnu-arch-users] patch: clean up some cacherev mess

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] patch: clean up some cacherev mess
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:05:10 +0000

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 11:32:34AM -0800, Derek Zhou wrote:
> Anyway, the problem is how do we provide a reasonable solution for
> people on nfs, which is not too uncommon in the unix/linux world?

By making it configurable, obviously. NFS users are going to have to
specify where to find large fast temporary storage anyway. For
example, I was once at a site where there was a special directory set
aside for precisely this purpose (the local filesystem had no spare
space to speak of, so /var/tmp was not an option).

> > tmpreaper is to clean up stale locks and stuff like that. People
> > caught *filling* /tmp get their accounts deleted, because they broke
> > the box.
> On my corprate shared redhat box, /tmp contains a million files (some
> very large) or so.

A million files is normal. Large files is not, the sysadmin should be
finding those users and kicking them until they are educated. When
some idiot fills /tmp, the other million users who created those tiny
files discover that their applications have all stopped working.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |