Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Behavior by default and configuration file

From: Andy Tai
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Behavior by default and configuration file
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 21:18:22 -0800 (PST)

Well, this has been discussed before. You want tla scriptable. Considering that
Tom Lord invented
GNU Guile, which is in some ways related to the ultra-customizable Emacs, it is
of no surprise
that there were talks of making tla scriptable.  And it is of no surprise that
some newer SCM
systems younger than Arch are implemented in Python.  And I won't mention Tom
and Python...

However, somehow this never materialized in a satisfactory manner... Tom
planned a new scheme
implementation...

Anyway, this is an interesting topic.  The C-based tla is very easy to deploy
in a network of
GNU/Linux or Unix machines, although one can argue that Python-based
implementations should do
well in this type of environment too. Here is what I think would be two
characteristics of a good
scripting language:

  small, easy to embed in a C host environment
  with syntax and semantics similar to C and C++ and Java

The second criteria may not be agreeable by everyone, but I think is practical
simply due to more
people are familiar with them. It would be interesting if tla is scriptable via
such a language.
(Just my views, of course)

anyway, this topic can be discussed in long and long threads...