[Gnu-arch-users] Re: request for comments on partial commits

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: request for comments on partial commits
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:20:08 -0500

>> Hi, for the partial commit problem I am thinking of a simple method:
>> the user will have to commit the whole tree after a file renaming or
>> file deletion operation, which means the change to the directory
>> content.  Are there any objection to this approach as a short-term
>> measure?

You mean partial commits can only do file modifications or file additions?
How do you detect the difference between file-addition and file-move?
Do you do a full-tree traversal?

> Short term, it is OK, but long term you want:
>  - For every smallest set S of file names such that S is stable by the
>    operation "f got moved to f'", the user has to commit either all
>    files whose old or new name is in S.

Yes.

> Implementing the graph walking algorithms to find the partition of
> files in S's in C is left as an exercise to the reader.

I don't see any graph-walking here: check the status of the selected files.
- if a file was only modified it's OK.
- if a file was moved within the set, it's OK.
- if a file was added/removed from the set, then do a full-tree traversal
  to determine whether it was moved to/from the selected set (in which case
  we have an error) or whether it was really added/removed to/from the whole
  tree, in which case it's also OK.

        Stefan