[Gnu-arch-users] Re: request for comments on partial commits

From: Jaakko Kangasharju
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: request for comments on partial commits
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:44:47 +0200

Lionel Elie Mamane <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 10:57:31PM -0800, Andy Tai wrote:
>
>> Hi, for the partial commit problem I am thinking of a simple method:
>> the user will have to commit the whole tree after a file renaming or
>> file deletion operation, which means the change to the directory
>> content.  Are there any objection to this approach as a short-term
>> measure?
>
> Short term, it is OK, but long term you want:
>
>  - For every smallest set S of file names such that S is stable by the
>    operation "f got moved to f'", the user has to commit either all
>    files whose old or new name is in S.

I remember convincing myself that you also need to include all the
directories on the path from a name in S to the tree root to be safe.

So you have the relation x R y if either a) => x y or b) x = y/z (or
the symmetric case).  Then just take all names reachable via R from
the names you want to partially commit.  But I'm not sure whether even
this is sufficient.

--
Jaakko Kangasharju
Want a Gmail account?  Just email me.