Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ppc64el support in endorsed distros

From: Andreas Grapentin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ppc64el support in endorsed distros
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2018 11:18:17 +0200

Any setup would work for me where I have physical access to the
machine, or at least physical access to a USB port and the power switch.

If for legal reasons parabola can not own the machine, I would be fine
with the FSF owning it and us having physical access, or me owning it
and having physical access. I did consider buying one, but at the moment
they are prohibitively expensive to me.

I could also imagine a situation where someone from parabola would be
appointed something like "ppc64le shepherd" at the FSF, or maybe even
hired as a ppc64le distribution manager, and could get access to a FSF
owned Talos machine under that role.

A shell onto a Talos machine, for example into a already setup debian
installation, might work, but could be a lot of trouble without the
necessary remote administrative tools (insert external media, hard reset
capabilities, etc.). Those issues could be worked around by having
someone with pysical access to the machine we could ask to perform
certain tasks like shutting down, but this could of course introduce
some delay and inconvenience.

lots of options exist. Maybe we can work out if one of these is feasible :)

Best,
Andreas

my GPG Public Key:                 https://files.grapentin.org/.gpg/public.key