Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ppc64el support in endorsed distros

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ppc64el support in endorsed distros
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 12:18:10 +0200

On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 11:18:17 +0200
Andreas Grapentin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Any setup would work for me where I have physical access to the
> machine, or at least physical access to a USB port and the power
> switch.
This can also be done remotely:
- For the USB port you could use a reliable Single Board Computer(SBC).
  For instance An Olimex Lime2 could work if you use a microSD only to
  boot, and use a regular HDD for the OS. The issue is that microSD
  have a tendency to corrupt the filesystem on them when the power is
  cut and put back. You then connect the USB device port to the Talos
  computer and emulate an USB key on the Single Board Computer (SBC)
  through the USB device port.
- For the power switch you could try to wire the power button to the
  SBC through some relays or something like that.

Basically the idea is to use an SBC that is well supported by Parabola
as a BMC (Baseboard Management Controller).

If you use such setup, you should could try to test that at home
before. I'm planning to setup something like the setup described above
to power up my compilation desktop machine remotely.

Alternatively the Talos mainboards should also have a BMC, but I don't
know if it has an USB device/OTG port that is connected to the powerPC
host.

Raptor engineering also developed some free software test system that
enables to do some testing on Coreboot (such as boot tests and so on).
Unfortunately they use a raspberry pi, so it would be a good idea to
try to use another Single Board Computer (SBC) with their code.

Denis.