Re: FSF : lackeys of their corporate masters

From: Snuffelluffogus
Subject: Re: FSF : lackeys of their corporate masters
Date: 7 May 2004 06:28:11 -0700

sholden@cs.usyd.edu.au (Sam Holden) wrote in message
news:<slrnc9lr4g.tcf.sholden@flexal.cs.usyd.edu.au>...
> On Thu, 06 May 2004 18:00:19 -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
> > Snuffelluffogus <darkred@myway.com> writes:
> >
> >> I have seen much code written by self-taught programmers.  It most
> >> sucks.
> >
> > I hate to break this to you, but most people with CS degrees are still
> > self-taught programmers.  We do a very poor job of actually teaching
> > programming (as opposed to theory).
>
> Which is OK, since CS is not programming.

My point exactly. You can't expect good engineering out of a CS person,
because they don't have either an engineering degree, or the proper attitude
about solving problems the right way.

It's like the joke about engineers:

How do you torture an engineer? Sit them down in a chair
and make them watch you refold a map the WRONG way.

In my experience, a CS major is just happy to "fold the map
the wrong way", and may even consider it clever and creative
and NOT a waste of time.

Different personality type entirely. CS major are not suited to be
good at programming.