Re: Linux is SHIT

From: Barak Zalstein
Subject: Re: Linux is SHIT
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 16:04:18 +0300

"David Kastrup" <dak@gnu.org> wrote in message
x5fz9qazef.fsf@lola.goethe.zz">news:x5fz9qazef.fsf@lola.goethe.zz...
> > I fail to understand why you continuosly consider sharing that kind
> > of critical information
>
> "sharing of critical information" for illegal copies of Windows?
> Strange euphemism.

I can currently think of two reasons why illegal Windows copies could be
considered critical, or at least
very important:
1. Free software developers would benefit from knowing what's going on
outside the free software world and
what are the ongoing trends (that was my point talking about 80x25 ghetto),
while not making the business
of selling Windows copies more profitable.
2. Making a computer usable for people who really need the connectivity and
functionality but don't have the
skills/resources to install, administrate, troubleshoot, read, modify and
redistribute a free solution yet (GNU
is not always technically better nor easier).

> > as a criminal activity (just do that outside of corporate
> > environment).
>
> The question is not what I consider criminal, but what the laws
> consider criminal.  That is what will get your computers confiscated
> and you jailed or fined.
>
> > What if this attitude was taught (and enforced) in school?
>
> To obey the laws?  Actually, that attitude _is_ taught in school.

Can't argue there.
Breaking the law is a bad idea, unless you see the law as unjustified enough
for you
to encourage civilian disobediance (hopefully in large quantities).

> > Being pedantic regarding licenses and eulas may result in confining
> > oneself to a 80x25 ghetto buffer.
>
> News flash: you could just use Linux and run a lot of free and open
> software on it, without breaking any laws, licences and Eulas.  Which
> is what I do, and have done for quite a long time.

You ignovre all the people who have been using Windows for years and see
GNU/
as cheap, uncomfortable, awkward and practically unusable.
Those who don't want to care about the little details will need to approach
the Linux market leaders, and thus accept proprietness to some extent,
making Linux
not much different from Windows (different software portfolio, different
backslash direction, different
support agreements).

> Linux broke out of the "80x25 ghetto buffer" some 12 years ago, when
> the first X11 servers started running on it.
I doubt it would have happened without outside influence, and since
ideologists
keep warning against proprietary systems, software packages and drivers,
what they actually do is
preach against interacting with the real world.

Barak