Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code

From: Lee Hollaar
Subject: Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:06:16 +0000 (UTC)

In article <20040617210438.615aaa92.tengo@DELETEMEecc.lu> Stefaan A Eeckels
<tengo@DELETEMEecc.lu> writes:
>The section you quote seems to indicate that copies are
>by definition material objects, which is patent nonsense :-)
>when it comes to computer files.

So let's see.  One one hand we have the definition of what a copy is
in United States copyright law.  On the other hand, we have you
thinking that the definition is "nonsense when it comes to computer
files."

Computer files reside on some tangible medium of expression.  That
is what the "copy" of the computer file is.  A single mediume of
expression can contain many copyrighted works.  Just like a book
of poems or short stories.

That's the way it is, at least with United States copyright law.
Live with it.