Re: Question About GNU General Public License

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: Question About GNU General Public License
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:21:32 +0100

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 00:46 +0000, wrote:
> So by your measurement a bacterial disease is software because you can
> give it to someone else while still having it yourself.

If you forget how bacterial diseases get transmitted, yes.

However, you are sick because you have a certain amount of bacteria
that's bigger than your body can cope, and by sneezing (or whatever) you
transmitted some bacteria to your fellow neighbour. So in fact the
amount of bacteria in your body diminished.

So no, it's not the same thing. Bad analogy. While Star Trek alike
replicators don't exist, I think you'll have a big problem finding a
physical analogy.

>  On the other hand,
> a joke must be hardware because when you tell the joke to someone else
> you aren't going to laugh like when someone tells it to you.

That would depend on your capacity to properly tell jokes. But I can't
understand how you, again, make something immaterial as if it was a
material thing...

>  Hmmm, a
> secret doesn't classify at all by your system because once you tell the
> secret to even one person, it isn't secret anymore...

You don't understand or you don't want to understand?

When A told secret S to B, did A loose any knowledge about S ? No.
B now ALSO has knowledge of S. It is a secret now shared between A and
B, and A is no poorer and B has more info than before.

It will only stop being a secret if either A or B do something that
makes it public knowledge (like printing it in an add).

Hugs, Rui

+ So let's do it...?