Re: Too late! Window hasta la vista 5308 is now fully operational.

From: Peter
Subject: Re: Too late! Window hasta la vista 5308 is now fully operational.
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:31:58 +1300

Rex Ballard wrote:

> Microsoft then announced "Chicago", the eventually renamed it Windows
> 95.  Although Windows 95 was officially "released" in August of 1995,
> the market didn't really accept or purchase substantial quantities
> until 1996.  Windows 95 required Pentium processors, PCI bus, and
> peripherals with special "plug-and-play" firmware.  Ironically, this
> ultimately lead to the conversion of millions of 80486 machines with
> VLB to Linux.

Windows 95 ran very satisfactorily on high end 486's and even top end 386's.
As far as I remember a numeric co-processor or 486 DX processors were
necessary and it is this that may have led to 386's and 486 SX's being
dumped.  I remember sticking a Windows 95 demo disk into on old (top end in
its day) 386 and to my surprise receiving the message 'OK for Windows 95'
or similar.