Re: what is the current status of GPL v3

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: what is the current status of GPL v3
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 07:39:10 +0000

rosemont@gmail.com wrote on 16 May 2006 21:49:40 -0700:
> What is the current status of GPL v3?

Under discussion, I think.

> I read a few months ago that Linux kernel will not go GPL v3.  What
> will happen then?

It will stay with GPL 2, and the world won't come to an end, and most
people used to using free software won't even notice.

> Will GNU bind with another kernel?

It already does.  Hurd, for example.

I think you're misunderstanding what "GNU" is - it isn't a single
program, or a tightly coupled suite.  It's a compilation of lots of
useful programs, which system builders can pick and choose from.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter