Re: Lost in licensing - is the following strategy water-proof?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Lost in licensing - is the following strategy water-proof?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 23:52:43 +0200

   >    >    Dear open-source-fellows,
   >    >
   >    > Please do not confuse us with this movement, we are part of
   >    > the Free software movement, and promote freedom.
   >
   >    Please do not confuse yourself with every reader of this list.
   >    Speak for yourself, not for others.  If you absolutely feel
   >    compelled to speak for others, don't use the all-inclusive
   >    "we" but specify the group that you feel qualified speaking
   >    for explicitly.
   >
   > This is a GNU list, we are not part of the open source movement.
   > Using we in this context is perfectly suitable.

   Alfred, you have stated that you don't agree with positions
   explained in the GPL FAQ and by Ebden Moglen, the FSF's legal
   counsel.  And you certainly put forward positions that I, as a GNU
   contributor and maintainer of several projects, can't find to agree
   with either my opinion nor that of the FSF.

This is simply not true.  Please refrain from spreading misinformation
about what I have exactly said or haven't said.

   So please don't pretend to speak with authority you don't have.

This list is about GNU and free software, open source software is
neither.

   Apart from that, the group's charter does not prescribe the opinions
   to state on this list: it is here for serious discussion _about_ the
   GNU project.  This is not an internal discussion list, but open to
   everybody, regardless of party affiliation.

This has nothing to do about _opinions_.  Please see www.gnu.org for
further information about the goals of the GNU project and the free
software movement.  Asking someone not to confuse us with the
opensource movement is perfectly OK, it has nothing to do with a
opinion.