Re: address@hidden: Please remove me from your address@hidden or address

From: Mike Gerwitz
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 22:45:43 -0500

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 19:34:07 -0600, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> Alexandre François Garreau wrote:
>> It was, and it is not “tolerated”, this is bad faith: it is simply
>> impossible to do anything about that.

> the list and make it clear that he won't be allowed back until he has
> stopped sending unsolicited email to those who don't want it.
>
> I'm not saying I recommend this or don't recommend this reaction, frankly
> it's not my decision to make as I don't own gnu-misc-discuss@gnu.org. I
> bring this up to point out that it goes too far to say "it is simply
> impossible to do anything about that". There is something that can be
> done. Apparently gnu-misc-discuss@gnu.org owners have chosen to do nothing
> about it and therefore it is fair to say that ruben@mrbrklyn.com's behavior
> is tolerated.

Here we have the perfect example of why one shouldn't judge the
moderators harshly without any information.

I've publicly told Ruben to stop.  Instead, this user has created
multiple accounts and spams this list incessantly.  A ban would do
nothing.  I personally reject far more messages from this person that I
approve, and there are dozens a day.  And because of this "censorship"
we impose, Ruben has take it upon himself to create a separate "Hangout"
mailing list to which he forwards all messages---including some _private
messages_ between him and others.  He forcefully subscribed people to
this list, and does not honor unsubscription requests.

A ban does nothing to help this situation.  Indeed, the moderation we
did choose to do has resulted in an angry reaction that has only
inflamed the situation further.

One again, I ask that people please assume that moderators are acting in
good faith.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer