Google XMPP service (was: Re: Truth matters when writing software and se

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Google XMPP service (was: Re: Truth matters when writing software and selecting leaders)
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 14:15:25 -0500

Martin wrote:
On 3/30/21 9:10 AM, Jean Louis wrote:
* Martin <smartin@disroot.org> [2021-03-30 11:07]:

Back in past, it was possible, and I remember doing so. I have been
using Jabber network and I could freely contact Google Plus users
through Jabber network and I could freely contact Facebook users
through Jabber/XMPP network. It was possible to send email to Facebook
friend without being Facebook user or having Facebook account, they
would answer in their inbox to such email, and you would get
reply. Today it is not possible.
This kind of stories also have some pros. That time Jabber/XMPP network was getting big "free" promotion from Facebook, Google, etc. Nowadays I'm still using Jabber/XMPP and I have zero interest of having fb, g+, etc.

On a side note: talk.google.com still speaks Jabber/XMPP on port 5223. I use it to talk with friends that carry Android devices. The Android messenger app and Hangouts still use Jabber on the backend.

-- Jacob