Re: Risks of deterministic builds

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Risks of deterministic builds
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 07:41:07 +0300

* Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> [2021-04-08 23:40]:
> >> The bootstrappable project, GNU Mes and GNU Guix are working to fix that
> >>

> >> https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2020/guix-further-reduces-bootstrap-seed-to-25/
> >>     https://fosdem.org/2021/schedule/event/gnumes/
> >
> > Janneke, that is probably most important step for GNU and free
> > software in general.
>
> Thanks, we believe so too.
>
> > I have read it, and researching, but yet do not get how to start. I
> > have downloaded stage0, is that the place to start?
>
> It's currently not very easy to do this all by hand.  Easiest to see
> what's happening would be to use Guix: the bootstrap is fully "scripted"
> there by packages and their dependencies.  If you look at:o

I hope you may see the viewpoint that if it cannot be done by hand and
if it is too obscure that it defeats itself by principle. In my
opinion every user with average building skills should be able to do
it. I was programming in machine language on 65C02 CPU back in time,
and by using BASIC, I could peek and poke with memory and enter
machine instructions, and program games and software for advertising
this way.

May I again ask, if possible, please define the very first step, or
point to documentation that I can understand how to start with the
very first step, so that this steap is clear and becomes transparent
by all means.

I have downloaded stage0-Release_0.4.0, is that the very first step?

Is the file stage0_monitor.hex0 the very first step?

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://rms-support-letter.github.io/