Re: stephz (was: no subject)

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: stephz (was: no subject)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 08:26:39 +0200

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 11:28:36AM -0400, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> There are some spelling errors in the docs easily correctible with
> search.
> Don't feel bad, many for whom English is the mother tongue have
> problems with this mess.  :-)
>
> Singular              Plural           Verb
> ----------            ------------     -----------
> staff (musical)       staves           staff, staffed, staffing
>                                        he staffs = he draws
>                                        staves.
>
> staff (assistants)    staffs           staff, he staffs =
>                                        he hires assistants

According to my multilingual music dictionary, both "staff" and "stave"
are used in English in the musical meaning. So I think that both plurals
will fit.

The british monster plurals are a relict from the Normannic invasion.
So why not going the American way to change monstrosities like "thoughkr"
into simple "tho"?

I plead for introducing the term "staff/staffs" into the emerging new
global English in the meaning "musical assistents that rule notes by
forcing them into a cage of lines" .-)

Bernd Warken <address@hidden>