Re: stephz (was: no subject)

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: stephz (was: no subject)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:44:09 -0400

Bernd Warken wrote:

> According to my multilingual music dictionary, both "staff" and "stave"
> are used in English in the musical meaning. So I think that both plurals
> will fit.

That's for writing music on barrels.  .-)
There is no real problem with the singular stave but it reads
fussy and old fashioned, so staff is better,
but the plural staffs is absolutely not ok, and your dictionary
doesn't say that it is, does it?

While you have it handy, what does your dictionary have to say
about leger lines instead of ledger lines?  Leger was the musical
spelling until recently.  If nothing, complain to the authors.
:-)

Also, why al fine and not alla fine?  I've seen alla fine only
once and I wondered about that.

--
||/ Peace, understanding, health and happiness to all beings! ||
|-K ars sine scientia nihil                address@hidden ||