Re: 1.4.4 few bugs / problems...

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: 1.4.4 few bugs / problems...
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:30:45 +0200

>               Hello,
>       I tried to write a pice for piano with chords name on the top.
>       I found some problems (some of them certainly due to my bad controle of
> =
> lily)
>       - bar number are two hight ;

As you noted in a follow-up, they are typeset above the chords.
One workaround is to set a negative padding:

\score{
  \paper{
    \translator{
      \ScoreContext
      BarNumber \override #'padding = #-3
    }
  }
}

>       - repeat signs are printed on the lower staff ;

You mean the prima volta/secunda volta brackets?
One solution is given in the reference manual:
\property Staff.VoltaBracket = \turnOff
A better solution would be to move the Volta_engraver from
Staff to Score, but then you get the same problem as for the
bar numbers, that they are printed on top of the uppermost
lyrics or chord line.

>       - \mark \default don't work ;

It certainly does but you should use \mark "A" for the first
mark in the score to tell Lilypond that you want alphabetic
marks. By default, Lilypond typesets an empty mark for the
first \mark \default and 1,2,... for the subsequent ones.
This looks like a bug, the first one should get number 1
(or letter A if we decide for alphabetic marks as the default).

>       - on page 1 and 2 there's a big white space at bottom (were staff can
> be=
> =20
> placed) and the 3rd page is full.

The white space is probably not large enough to fit the next line.
You may want to space the score lines evenly over the page by
setting
\score
  \paper{
    interscorelinefill = 1
  }
}
you could also reduce the default spacing:
  scorelinefill = 5
(default is 16).

   /Mats