gnu3dkit-dev

Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] Strings and parameter lists

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] Strings and parameter lists
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:37:16 +0100

On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 10:55  Uhr, Gerard Iglesias wrote:
The question here is do we want to be able to read, write or read and write RIB files. If we ie. only have to write RIBs then we could ie. provide a special action implementation which generates a RIB from the scene graph.

About RIB, it would be very nice to have read and write RIB, obviously the writing is the easiest. I am working on it now, not too fast but I am working on it :) I didn't find nothing open source to read rib files. I am hesitating to write my own parser or use lex and yacc (well flex and bison). In fact this capacity would a big plus for our 3DKit...

Is your plan to design/implement a "RIB loader" which creates a 3DKit scene graph from a RIB file or are you planning to come up with a "stream processor" which feeds the RIB to the renderer of choice directly?

So the main question here is probably whether we want to design a pure Objective-C API or mix it with a C interface. Again, I'd choose the Objective-C approach, but...

I think that we have to make ObjC first, because if speed become a real issue I think that it will be better to give a complete equivalent C interface, a little bit as CoreFoundation/Foundation

Well, to me it is not a question of speed but more of design philosophy. It is a different style to use dictionaries for argument passing than C argument lists. But I agree that we should use dictionaries, and if we find out that the programming model becomes too cumbersome (or too slow) to use then we can still change it in the implementation phase.

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip