gnu3dkit-dev

Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] Strings and parameter lists

From: Gerard Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] Strings and parameter lists
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:13:36 +0100

Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

Well, you could do that, but the beauty IMHO would be to have an API which permits you to render a RIB directly. But I am not sure we want this at all because first, the 3DKit is a scene graph and should thus work this way and not directly via renderer bypassing the scene graph and second, we would then have to make sure to at least understand everything which is in a RIB.

Sure that it would not be a simple task, RIB file can contains very rich things, like animation, and I am not sure that 3DKit would manipulate animation natively for example.

But if we can parse rib file to get tree of geometry node il will be a good start :)

But having a render action which does produce a RIB would be cool as you could then process this further using other, already existing tools. As an example you could simply pipe the 3DKit's output into other CLI renderers' input.

Sure, and I think that it would be not so difficult to do so, a lot simpler than parsing a rib file.

I am exploring PCCTS/ANTLR to parse the rib file format, seems to be very interesting to use it, any experience ?

Best regards

   Gerard