gnu3dkit-dev

Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] Strings and parameter lists

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] Strings and parameter lists
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:58:41 +0100

On Wednesday, February 12, 2003, at 12:42  Uhr, Brent Gulanowski wrote:
What if we had a means to convert a RIB file, as a single string or data stream, to and from a dictionary or NSString? I am still thinking that using RIB as our "native" file format is not very Cocoa-like.

Well, you could do that, but the beauty IMHO would be to have an API which permits you to render a RIB directly. But I am not sure we want this at all because first, the 3DKit is a scene graph and should thus work this way and not directly via renderer bypassing the scene graph and second, we would then have to make sure to at least understand everything which is in a RIB.

But having a render action which does produce a RIB would be cool as you could then process this further using other, already existing tools. As an example you could simply pipe the 3DKit's output into other CLI renderers' input.

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip