Re: Clients and financial years

From: Neil Tiffin
Subject: Re: Clients and financial years
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 09:22:33 -0600

At 9:35 AM +0100 3/24/01, Reinhard Müller wrote:
1. Multiple clients (I mean several different companies running a single
installation of gnue)
I see 3 possibilities:
a) A database per client: simplest solution, but several drawbacks:
Tables cannot be shared between clients, data can not (easily) be copied
between clients, current databases systems tend to loose performance
with many active databases and so limit the number of clients.
b) A set of tables per client, with the client number being a part of
the table name (e.g. supply_chain__base__item01): AFAIK some systems go
this way, but I don't know if I like it personally. Not sure about
advantages and disadvantages. Not sure about how many tables may be in a
database.
c) A single set of tables where data of all clients sit, with every
table containing a field with the client id.

I think that company should be part of the database structures.  For
companies that operate internationally it is typical to have to do
accounting on many companies and at the same time run the supply
chain as if all of the companies were one company.

For this to work, security must be considered.  I see two scenarios here:
a) companies have to be completely separate.  this would apply to ASP
or others running multiple companies on the same system and the
companies are really separate.
b) multiple companies who have separate accounting but really operate as one.

And of course you may have both (a) and (b) for an ASP.

I think it is important to have reports and forms that can work
across financial companies.

Neil
address@hidden