Re: Tools

From: Rich Bodo
Subject: Re: Tools
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:37:22 -0700 (PDT)

> We can agree to disagree. Strong commercial interests means no sense of
> community.  (read they will screw you at first chance they have to make
> money)

I think we just disagree on what commercial interest means.  I take it
to mean that those with commercial interest want to make money off the
project.  In that sense, I'm sure we can both agree that it's not only
o.k. to have a strong commercial interest in a free software project
that you contribute to, but that it's a common, productive source of
motivation.  Lots of businesses depend on it, like the FSF, or most
people who consult on free software.  I think a good rule of thumb is
that if you suspect there are other motivations behind an organization
than the profit motive, just ask them straight up.  That usually
provides me with good data.

-Rich

Rich Bodo | address@hidden | 650-964-4678