Re: Frustration

From: Jason Cater
Subject: Re: Frustration
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:51:35 -0500

I *think* there is a port= option for connections.conf. I would have to
check to see. Either way, I think 5432 is the standard Postgres port that
GNUe (and any other pg tools) default to. However, are you sure Postgres
is actually listening on a TCP/IP port? On Debian, Postgres, by default,
only listens via a sockets file.  To use GNUe, we have to have it
listening on a port.

There is a postgresql.conf file somewhere that needs to have the line:

  tcpip_socket = 1

On Debian, this is under /etc/postgresql. Also, you'll need to set
permissions in your pg_hba.conf file for the appropriate interface. For my
personal, test station, my permissions lines look like:

local        all                                           trust
host         all         127.0.0.1     255.0.0.0           trust
host         all         0.0.0.0       0.0.0.0             reject

On a production machine, you would probably want something besides
"trust". With trust, the password supplied is ignored.

One way to test if postgres is properly listening via TCP/IP is to run
psql using the "-h localhost" method:

  psql -h localhost Template1

Re psycopg: does the rpm at:
  http://initd.org/pub/software/psycopg/python-psycopg-1.0.9-1.i386.rpm
not work for you?

Also, re the eGov conference: For any events on the West coast (or within
a day or so drive of Tennessee), I am more-than-likely available from
January until July. (Well, assuming the wife will let me :)  My busy time
at work is August - December, so much so that I am required to work
without vacation during that period :(

-- Jason