Re: [gnugo-devel] Crash report for OS X Segmentation fault

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Crash report for OS X Segmentation fault
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 06:30:47 -0800

> Hmm... I'm afraid I've rather lost touch with the current goals
> of gnugo. But "wasting" lots of memory as static does increase
> the minimum footprint required to run, and there are some people
> trying to run it on handhelds...

How does making this array static increase the minimum
footprint to run? After all, if the array is not static,
then when the function is called, the space for it will
have to be allocated then.

(I think I see but let me ask the question anyway.)

I don't think anyone is running GNU Go 3.x on a handheld. However
people are running 2.6.

> Oh, one final thought : I'm well out of date with the
> sources these days. I was browsing the code on the
> savanah, but didn't find this function.
>
> Do you know about lxr ?
>
>   http://lxr.linux.no/
>   http://lxr.mozilla.org/
>

> It's a little like using tags, but it makes it easy
> to find all the uses of symbols as well as where
> they are defined.
>
> I for one would find it really useful if some machine
> could serve such a cross-reference. It takes a little bit
> of setting up, but I'm happy to help out there. (I don't
> have any access to a web server myself, I'm afraid.)

This does look pretty useful. I wouldn't mind seeing that
happen, though it looks like a lot and our source tree is
constantly changing.  (Still, these comments apply also
to the Linux kernel, and they are maintaining an lxr tree
for that.)

I use tags to find function definitions and if I want to
find all function calls I accomplish this in a low tech
way with this shell script:

#!/bin/bash
if (! $2)
then
        $2 = "."
fi
find $2|grep "\.[ch]$"|xargs grep $1

I find it annoying that the emacs tags are not
case sensitive. For example if you search for trymove
instead of the function in board.c you get the macro
TRYMOVE in helpers.c.

Dan